Thursday 23 June 2016

Progress report for Mid term evaluations

This is a report on the mid term progress for my project.For reading through the report,it will be helpful if I provide a link to my original proposal

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ntfj3X4Tplmpxg7yGkojk5YSuNOjZB7q_2I3tSuf7r4/edit?usp=sharing

1)Planned goals vs Real Progress

(a) Planned goals as per my proposal:

By this time phase 1 of my project should have been completed.Phase 1 included the following things:
  • Providing RTEMS support in the Orocos-toolchain/Real-time toolkit (rtt) (i386 and SPARC
  • Creating a Orocos component using the Orogen template and adding RTEMS support there for i386 and SPARC architecture-
  • Build the component using autoproj making necessary changes and patching typelib and rtt-
  • Cross-compiling other necessary libraries like OmniOrb(for CORBA support),Xerces(Parser) and linking them to the component designed.

(b) Real Goals Attained

While framing the proposal there was less clarity about the  Orocos toolchain. The first three parts are essentially one big chunk and the next one is other. I have prepared the the first part i.e added rtems support to Orocos toolchain and the third part i.e preparing rock dependencies. However I have still not built up the component.I have tested the dependencies initially but further modifications needs to be carried out which would be clear as I build the component.  

2) Reasons for divergence

The main reason for divergence is it took me time to understand the RTT build system.There were references from the previous port that were greatly helpful.But the RTT part of the port took some time.With help from the mentors, I finally made the patch required.It is a delay now but I think gaining a complete understanding now would help me work faster for the remaining parts. Clearing this one big lag will help clearing many more small lags in the future.

3) Updated Plan

I think the workflow I gave in my proposal is definitely achievable. I will proceed as per my plans. I am a little slow now but I am positive that I could make up for the delay,

4) Code produced so far

The dependency scripts from the previous port have been modified to build but.The updated patch on RTT is also ready. I am waiting for the building up the component so that I can be sure the changes I made work.I will then write a blog post.

5) Current Blocking Points

I have worked with QEMU in the past to simulate for RTEMS. I am now finding a way out to build the Rock component I created for i386 on QEMU.

6) Realistic Goals to be achieved

Based on the work up to now,I think I don't need to make changes with the goals I had set. It might take more or less time ,but definitely can be done.

7) External Help expected

The three organisations OmniORB, RTEMS and Rock communities have been very helpful.Within the scope of the project I don't think I need more help.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment